Foldr v4 provides FREE signed SSL certificates via Let’s Encrypt that can be installed quickly and easily. Follow this link to find out more. However, if you do not already have an existing wildcard certificate and you would like to purchase a new signed certificate from a traditional Certificate Authority, we recommend using GoDaddy as they offer good value. You need the ‘Protect a single website’ option on this page:
The steps required to install:
1) Log into Foldr Settings at https://address_of_foldr/settings and navigate to the Certificates tab.
2) Use the link at the bottom of the screen and complete the required fields to generate your Certificate Signing Request and Private Key. Please ensure you specify the external / public URL of your Foldr system as the ‘Common Name’ – i.e. your Common Name could be foldr.yourdomain.com
3) Save both the entire private key and CSR as separate text files to your computer. You will need to send the CSR to your chosen certificate provider as part of the process of requesting your certificate.
4) You will be required to confirm your ownership of the domain, usually by way of an email to the registered contact of the domain held by the registrar.
Once you have validated your certificate request & domain ownership, you will receive a second email to tell you that the signed certificate is ready for download. There can be a slight delay between confirming your domain ownership and your signed certificate being created by your provider.
5) When ready and downloaded, open the signed certificate and Private Key into a text editor and paste into the relevant boxes on the Foldr Settings > Certificates screen.
You should also obtain your Certificate Provider’s Root and Intermediate Chain certificates from their support portal and paste these in at the same time. Some certificate authorities issue a bundle certificate (which is the CA Root and Intermediate Chain combined into a single file) you need to install this into the Certificate chain box and leave the CA Root box blank.
6) Click SAVE and your certificate will be installed after a few seconds.
Your SSL certificate installation should now be complete and you will no longer receive warnings in the browser or apps when accessing Foldr through the URL (Common Name) protected in the certificate.
The SSL installation can be verified by using an online validation tool such as https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html